Commentary:When Aliens Attack
From The Infosphere, the Futurama Wiki
Topics of Discussion
- WNYW is the name of the actual Fox affiliate in New York.
- One of the commentators went to college with Calista Flockhart
- Episode parodies her show Ally McBeal.
- The pullback from Earth to Omicron Persei 8 was the longest 3D one they'd done at that point.
- Omicron Persei is an actual star about 1000 light years away
- During the pullback the Viking or Pioneer probe can be seen.
- Clarifying the names of Lrrr and Ndnd
- Sand done digitally in Photoshop, allowing individual grains to be seen.
- Monument Beach is based on Independence Day's destruction of the White House.
- A lot of shots were copied from other Sci-Fi.
- Deliberate early introduction of Bender's head being a camera.
- Lrrr having trouble with the microphone was a quick joke, but resulted in him always having difficulties with similar technology.
- Zapp has jumped in rank from Captain to 25-Star General.
- New designs were needed for vehicles in this episode.
- Such as the school bus with a gun on it.
- The battle was described in the script as "a huge space battle ensues".
- Matt's son Will came up with the salute.
- Awesome 3D.
- The Hubble Telescope that was destroyed was not the same one that exists today.
- Morbo was deliberately left out of the episode.
- Old light (and TV signals) travels at the old light speed, only the light produced after scientists increased it's speed travels at the new speed.
- Writers often put notes (called internals) on dialogue to say how it should be read, Bender's "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Fry?" was noted with "Arnold".
- Electricity den's street is shown briefly, as is the Number 9 Man.
Highlights / Quotes
Unknown: A lot of science fiction fans will find out, the same shots we kinda pulled from Star Wars, and Star Trek.
Rich Moore: Well, this was our first space battle so, we went all out.
David X. Cohen: Where were these beds from; Star Trek or Star Wars?
John DiMaggio: [about the professional beach bully] Ladies, I'm just as ripped.
Rich Moore: That was designed after you, wasn't it? The image.
John DiMaggio: Oh, yeah.
Rich Moore: Before the 'problem'.
John DiMaggio: With the food and booze and flayven.