Commentary:The Series Has Landed
From The Infosphere, the Futurama Wiki
Topics of Discussion
- The Producers hoped for this episode to air after the Superbowl.
- Hermes was originally called Dexter and wasn't Jamaican.
- The inspiration for Dr. Zoidberg.
- Zoidberg's name comes from an undeveloped game by David X. Cohen called Zoid
- Bender and the Professor's voices have changed quite a bit since the earlier episodes.
- If Sal has a bunch of clones or if he just keeps getting different jobs.
- The Gophers were meant to have a much longer show.
- Scientists wrote in saying the episode was a bit unrealistic.
- The joke with the professor being "already in his pajamas" was meant to be in more episodes.
- David explains how the lunar pod is still on the Moon after it departed back to Earth and points out a sign that was added late in the development of the episode.
- John DiMaggio's improvised panting sounds inappropriate when used out of context.
- About making Bender in 3D for the last shot
David X. Cohen: Well Zoidberg's name comes from a game I was developing in college called Zoid so his name is dedicated to those wasted three years.
Ken Keeler: [When they watch the crew jumping over the alligators.] And I believe the single least realistic thing in the entire episode is right here. [They laugh.]
Peter Avanzino: What do you mean?
Rich Moore: The way they jump the gorge.
David X. Cohen: Matt Groening, you had objections to that early on. How do you feel in retrospect? The gators with the space helmets on?
Matt Groening: I... I was wrong.
- They notice Leela's nose seems to change size