From The Infosphere, the Futurama Wiki
Topics of Discussion
- The episode had not yet aired at the time of recording, causing some confusion at the start of the commentary.
- Wernstrom was intended to be a one time character, but was too good to leave out.
- Robot 1-X's design is based on an iMac.
- Satellite technology and the speed of light.
- Bender falling over in the trash can.
- Bender is the only major character in act 2.
- There had been a scene with a rock that was in reference to Tom Hanks' volleyball in Cast Away.
- Maurice had recently acted in some anti-smoking ads for radio.
- Bender's line the the pig "now turn around" was contributed by Matt.
- Sinclair 2K is based on the Timex Sinclair computer from the 1970s, which had 2KB of memory.
- His design is based on Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet.
- They didn't think Lisa would be easy to animate.
- The Lisa was predecessor to the Macintosh.
- John (as Bender) hummed along to his memory of the music for the recording. When they added the music later in matched up correctly.
- Dan did the initial design of wooden Bender. A slight change was made to remove the steam engine that was on his back.
- Wooden submarines.
- The music during the robots' attack on modern technology is by Christopher Tyng, not something that was licensed.
- There had been brief moments showing what each of the characters had been doing when the power went out; Amy had been on a treadmill and fell off onto Scruffy's lap.
- The sound of Bender's arms falling off had been temporary, but the good sounds weren't funny.
- They were concerned because both this episode and "The Sting" both feature long plots that aren't really happening.
Highlights / Quotes
Dan Vebber: It was named after Steve Jobs' daughter, right?
David X. Cohen: Sure, why not?
Billy West: He should have named it after his son, Shemp.
Dan Vebber: His son, Computer.
Dan Vebber: This was... You actually drew this in the storyboards, didn't you? The way that he walks on his eyeballs? David?
David X. Cohen: Me. That's all... That's pure Cohen. [pause] I didn't draw it, but I thunk of it.
Billy West: Thanks Zeke!
Related DVD Features
- Some of the deleted scenes mentioned are on the disc, including scenes at the convention and in the upgrade facility.