|Profession||Writer, director and producer at Everybody Loves Hypnotoad|
|First appearance||"The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" (3ACV07)|
The Hypnotoad is a large toad with oscillating, multicolored eyes, who can hypnotize anything at will, including an entire crowd of Humans, by making a loud, buzzing noise. It is an Earthican celebrity, and has two shows of its own: Everybody Loves Hypnotoad, which it writes, directs and produces, and Hypnotoad On Ice.
The Hypnotoad has used its ability on many: a few sheep and the judges at a pet show,[3ACV07] an announcer, whom it hypnotized to death,[BBS] and the viewers of the return of Futurama.[6ACV01] It also had its image shown in the V-GINY, which suggests it is censorable,[6ACV02] one of its webisodes featured on the eyePhone,[6ACV03] and Hypnotoad On Ice interrupted by breaking news on Hedonismbot.[6ACV07] With no relevance to the story, it was seen in Everybody Loves Hypnotoad numerous times.[4ACV06][6ACV11] The Hypnotoad is rarely seen not hypnotizing.[ItWGY]
In 3017, the Hypnotoad hypnotized Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth, making him order the Planet Express crew to take him to Amphibios 9. Once there, the Hypnotoad commenced his buzzing noise, making hypnowaves that revealed the female hypnotoad from a perpendicular universe.
The universe was pulled into the hypnowaves, but Lord Nibbler saved Philip J. Fry from being sucked in as well. Fry worked with Nibbler, then later Professor Farnsworth, to restore New New York and the rest of Earth, as well as the other planets in the universe.Disputed canon
As a meme
The Hypnotoad is also a well known meme (also known as an Internet phenomenon). It is used as an interruptor of sorts. Its usage usually involves it being mentioned in a sentence, which is abruptly interrupted in the middle with ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
- "Hypnotoad is stuALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD."
- "Why is this Hypnotoad video so popuALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD."
- A full 22-minute episode of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad was featured on the DVD release of Bender's Big Score.
- The Hypnotoad is featured on one of the discs of The Complete Collection 1999-2009 and on the cover for Volume 8.
- Its eyes are naturally green colored. However, they do not automatically revert to green the moment it stops hypnotizing.
- The noise used is an auditory notice played when a button is pressed erroneously in the editing program the show uses, a product from Avid. An unnamed editor, most likely audio editor Paul Calder, titled it Angry Machine and looped it for the Hypnotoad. It was originally a temporary sound, but the audience and staff both liked it.
- It is possible that Hypnotoad uses the delta brainwave to hypnotize people. This is evident when Fry, the only person who lacks the brainwave, was capable of commenting on Everybody Loves Hypnotoad by saying "This show has been going downhill since season 3" and everyone else seemed to like it.[4ACV06]
- The Hypnotoad cameos in the Guillermo del Toro-directed opening to The Simpsons' "Treehouse of Horror XXIV" and in the episode "The Kid is All Right".
- ^ Hypnotoad at KnowYourMeme.com
- ^ Animation Domination (03 October 2013). Treehouse of Horror XXIV Couch Gag by Guillermo del Toro | THE SIMPSONS | ANIMATION on FOX. (YouTube.) Retrieved on 06 October 2013.