Difference between revisions of "A Taste of Freedom"
|Line 21:||Line 21:|
|broad next=Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch
|broad next=Kif Gets Knocked Up a Notch
"'''A Taste of Freedom'''" is the fifty-ninth episode of ''[[Futurama]]'', the fifth of the [[Season 4|fourth production season]] and the fourth of the [[Broadcast season 5|fifth broadcast season]]. It aired 12 December, 2002 on FOX. Having eaten the [[Old Freebie|
"'''A Taste of Freedom'''" is the fifty-ninth episode of ''[[Futurama]]'', the fifth of the [[Season 4|fourth production season]] and the fourth of the [[Broadcast season 5|fifth broadcast season]]. It aired 12 December, 2002 on FOX. Having eaten the [[Old Freebie|flag]], [[Dr. Zoidberg]] finds himself chased by the people of [[Earth]], which leads to a war between Earth and [[Decapod 10]].
Revision as of 14:41, 16 November 2009
|← Previous||Navigation in production order||Next →|
|← Previous||Navigation in broadcast order||Next →|
|Season 4 episode|
Broadcast season 5 episode
|A Taste of Freedom|
|Written by||[[Eric Horsted]][[Category:Episodes written by Eric Horsted|A Taste of Freedom]]|
|Directed by||[[James Purdum]][[Category:Episodes directed by James Purdum|A Taste of Freedom]]|
|Title caption||Or is it?|
|First air date||12 December, 2002|
|Title reference||The book of the same name by Peng Ming-min, about an objective observer's unwitting participation in political matters, and subsequent troubles|
"A Taste of Freedom" is the fifty-ninth episode of Futurama, the fifth of the fourth production season and the fourth of the fifth broadcast season. It aired 12 December, 2002 on FOX. Having eaten the Earthican flag, Dr. Zoidberg finds himself chased by the people of Earth, which leads to a war between Earth and Decapod 10.
- 1 The Story
- 2 Additional Info
- 3 Episode Credits
Act I: Freedom, freedom, freedom, oy!
It is Freedom Day on Earth, an the Planet Express crew are celebrating with everything that is right and proper for this occasion - like doing whatever you want or taking a hot nude group bath in the traditional Freedom Tub. Zoidberg however enjoys it more than everyone else, as on Earth freedom is given, but on his home world, people have to suffer for it. That's why he loves Earth. They all go to Washington DC to watch the great parade, including military vehicles from DOOP. When Earth President Richard Nixon's head holds the Freedom Day Speech and salutes the beloved symbol of Freedom, Old Freebie, Zoidberg eats the flag to express himself as proper on Freedom Day. The assembled Earthicans however do not like this and Nixons head orders to kill him.
Act II: I was hating Zoidberg before it was cool!
Zoidberg flees inside the Decapodian embassy and finds a safe haven there for the time being. The Ambassador promises Zoidberg the full support of his government. Nixon's head orders to storm the embassy, but the Planet Express crew intervene on Zoidberg's behalf claiming the freedom of expression guaranteed by the Earth's constitution. Nixon therefore takes the case to a place where the constitution doesn't mean squat - the Supreme Court. The crew find a lawyer to defend Zoidberg, Old Man Waterfall. The Supreme Court decides that flag eating is not protected by the constitution and orders Zoidberg to apologize, but he refuses and is thus sentenced to death. Earth forces are attacking the Decapodian Embassy, whereupon Decapodian forces attack.
Act III: Is it possible that all this slavery and oppression is schmutzing up our freedom lesson?
After disabling the defenses by trickery, the Decapodians conquer Earth, enslaving every inhabitant and forcing them to build the Mobile Oppression Palace which provides cheap oppression and begins wrecking up Washington D.C. Fry, Leela, Bender, Zapp Brannigan and Kif are preparing a counterattack with an ancient heat-seeking missile. Old Man Waterfall tries to stand up to the invaders with his precious Earth flag, but is killed, which causes Zoidberg to change sides. However, the missile cannot aquire the target as all Decapodian technology is cold-blooded. Zoidberg saves the day by setting Old Man Waterfall's Earth flag on fire and hurling it into the Mobile Oppression Palace - the missile can aquire the target and destroys the oppressive device, Earth is free again. On a celebration to honour Zoidberg, he is allowed to take a bite out of the flag to be hoisted with the approval of Nixon's head.
- Harold Zoid appears on a Newspaper in this episode.
- The episode originally featured the Mobile Oppression Palace destroying buildings. This was changed because of the 9/11 attacks.
- The episode is based off the famous flag burning controversy. (Writer's note: That is to say, famous in the US, never heard of it myself)
- The embassies in Embassy Row include these of the Neutral Planet, the Klingons (pink, because it was originally supposed to be a Barbie Embassy, but it was scrapped during production, so the only indication that it is the Klingon embassy is the logo), the Globetrotter Homeworld and of Decapod 10.
- Richard M. Nixon's Head is carried around by the Secretary of Transportation, instead of the Headless body of Agnew.
- The woman seen talking to the young John Zoidberg is not his birth parent, as the events of "Why Must I Be a Crustacean in Love?" (2ACV05) show that they must be dead; not to mention the fact that she herself uses the phrase "if you want your parents to roll over in their graves". She may be his third, non-biological, parental figure - in "That's Lobstertainment!" (3ACV08) he identifies himself as "Norm and Sam and Sadie's boy".
- Dr. Zoidberg's dream of being a comedian was previously mentioned in "That's Lobstertainment!" (3ACV08).
- When Zoidberg takes the flag from Old Man Waterfall, Old Man Waterfall's fake hand his the wrong one, unless he has two fake hands.
- Zoidberg: Yes, I'm desecrating a flag, but to preserve the freedom it represents!
- Old Man Waterfall: Do your worst, you sea devils. I'll make my stand with Old Freebie. You can crush me but you can't crush my spirit!
(The Mobile Oppression Palace crushes him)
Old Man Waterfall: Argh, my spirit!
- Leela: Zoidberg, you set us free! I feel like I could stand to hug you! I can't, but you know what I'm trying to say.
Alien Language Sightings
Location: Side of Earthican Flag Company truck
Translation: A Venusian Corporation
- Judging from what Zoidberg says as he awaits the judgement of the Supreme Court, the earlier trip to Roswell 1947 permanently relieved him of one of his four hearts, as he has only three left, two of which were having attacks just then.
- Professor Farnsworth
- Debut: Frida Waterfall
- Debut: Hugh Man
- Zapp Brannigan
- Debut: Ambassador Mervin
- Debut: Chief Justice Myrtle Fu
- Richard Nixon's head
- Debut: The Pain Monster
- Old Man Waterfall
- Scoop Chang
- Debut: Snoop Dogg's head