Tron is a film released in 1982 by Walt Disney Pictures about the story of Kevin Flynn, a man who is "digitized" into his computer system and must find a way to get back to the real world. A sequel was released in 2010 called Tron: Legacy. Tron was not a very popular film at first, but as time progressed it became more popular and is now referenced in many other forms of media, including Futurama.
References to Tron in Futurama
- In "A Bicyclops Built for Two", the crew going into cyberspace may be a reference to Tron.
- "Love and Rocket" had two possible references to Tron
- When Bender uploads his software into The Planet Express Ship, this could be a reference to cyberspace, the fundamental idea for Tron.
- The Planet Express Ship says "I'm afraid I can't do that, Leela.". This may be a reference to The Master Control Program, who said the same words before beaming Flynn into cyberspace. However, this is likely a coincidence.
- In "Law and Oracle", Fry and URL chase Erwin Schrödinger into Circuit City where a Tron-like chase ensues. This is a reference to the Light Cycle battles that were shown in Tron.
- In "A Farewell to Arms", Leela says "If only I could get back all that time I spent watching Tron: Legacy."
- "A Bicyclops Built for Two" | 2ACV09
- "Love and Rocket" | 4ACV03
- "Law and Oracle" | 6ACV16
- "A Farewell to Arms" | 7ACV02